Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Greening of Connecticut

Even though I grew up in the mountains of North Carolina and the hills of Ithaca, New York, have lived in coastal South Carolina, New York City area and the farmlands of Virginia, I have always been fascinated by how dramatically Southeastern Connecticut "greens up" in the spring.  To me spring always seems to be coming, slowly....two steps forward with warm weather, one step back to the frigid temperatures again.  Lots of rain and occasional flurries along the way.  The anticipation can be torture after a long cold winter. 

Then suddenly spring is here with the brightest green of anyplace I can remember ever living up and down the East Coast.  This year I decided to document the change, taking photos of the same set of trees over our chicken coop and the coop with its wooded background every weekend.  I started on March 21st, just before the buds began to show on the trees and stopped on May 15.   


March 21st - The buds are just starting to make the trees look fuzzy


The chicken coop on March 27th


One month later, not much difference - April 18

Taken the same day as the above shot, but showing the ground


May 1st - Pale new leaves show promise

Voila!  Spring is here!  May 15th looking up at the same trees


The chicken coop is now in the shade

1 comment:

  1. What I notice is that when the chicken coop is in the sun, there are chickens outside. When the chicken coop is in the shade, there are no chickens outside. I attribute this phenomenon to these possible reasons:

    a. Thanks to the shade, the chickens think it is night time all the time and are asleep.

    b. The chickens are cool enough inside the coop to kick back and watch the finale of Lost on their big screen HGTV without sweating.

    c. The chickens realize that they take better pictures without those awful shadows across their little chicken faces.

    d. The chickens have become camera shy from being photographed so often for this Blog entry.

    e. Green is a chicken's least favorite color. I know it is my least favorite color on chicken I eat, so why shouldn't it be for a chicken as well?

    ReplyDelete