Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Feline Frenzy or Cat Breeding 101

Since I've blogged at length about animal excrement and being a cat sex therapist, I figured it was time to push the envelope to the next level and post a video. 
Downy, the black silver mackerel male I purchased from the Luckypaws cattery in Florida, has finally come of age.  His heart was echoed and declared healthy by veterinary cardiologist Dr. Mark Stamoulis a couple of weeks ago, he's over a year old, and he is now interested in girls.  Whether or not he's fertile is yet to be proven (I had a stud cat a couple of years ago who was interested in girls at a very young age, but didn't manage to get any of them pregnant until he was almost two years old.  Very frustrating for me, but he enjoyed trying). 

Downy's girlfriend this week is Lucy, a brown tabby and white who was born here last year (she's Trifle and Bugger's daughter) and now lives with my friend and fellow Maine Coon breeder Jo-Ann Benedetti in upstate New York.  Lucy is a year old and recently had her heart screened also.  Both cats have super affectionate, outgoing personalities and nice physical attributes, but neither has the strong chin we'd like to see.  However, since Lucy needs to be bred or risk getting pyometra (a uterine infection) and Downy is the non-related male easily available, we're going ahead with the idea that the kittens will probably be pet quality.  By the time Lucy is ready to breed again, my 8-month-old male, Colonel Bates, should be ready to do the deed and Jo-Ann may get a keeper out of that.

When Lucy arrived at my house, I put her here in the computer/kitten room.  She was happy to be out of her carrier, exploring her surroundings, chirping and rubbing up against my legs.  Then I introduced her to her betrothed.  Poor Lucy!  Feeling defensive and scared at seeing a whole male for the first time in the same room with her, she did what any girl with raging hormones would do; she became a bitch.  Downy was confused.  He smelled "Yes, yes!", but he got "No, no!"  If he looked at or tried to sweet-talk Lucy, he was met with growling, hissing, and swinging claws.  So like any girl-whipped guy (you know what word I mean here), Downy waited.  He waited safely under the desk where she couldn't get to him easily, making himself as small as possible and calling out to her once in a while to let her know how desirable she was and that he was sorry for whatever it was he'd done to make her hate him. 

Before I went to bed that evening, I stroked Lucy's back to see if she was exhibiting any signs of being in heat.  Nope.  Oh well, the darkness of night brings out the beast in most cats so I went upstairs to bed.  Sure enough, by morning Lucy was smiling like Scarlett O'Hara after Rhett Butler carried her up to the bedroom and it was obvious that they had worked out their differences.  Downy is proving to be a sex-obsessed teenager, not even giving Lucy the opportunity to eat without jumping on her.  After witnessing three breedings within about an hour, I took Downy out of the room so Lucy could get some rest.  Since my web cam has mostly been used by daughter Kelsey, I decided to see what I could do with it while Downy and Lucy "did the nasty".  Fortunately for the viewers, I did manage to edit out the first 3 minutes.  Assuming Lucy is pregnant, she is expected to deliver mid-May.






No comments:

Post a Comment