Monday, May 18, 2009

Not a Morning Person

I snore occasionally. My husband Jay complains sometimes and Kelsey makes fun of me. Jay used to get angry about it until I made him understand that I honestly don't do it on purpose. Apparently it can be loud enough at times that Jay feels like he has to hang onto the side of the bed to keep from getting sucked into the black hole of my gaping mouth (I would fit in well at a nursing home). It can be embarrassing when you realize that you're at your worst when you're unconscious. It keeps me from falling asleep on park benches. I've gone to ENT doctors, researched different remedies, tried taking antihistamines before bedtime, etc. So much for the doctor who promised me I'd no longer snore after he removed my tonsils and adenoids as a child.

Yesterday (Sunday) Jay and I made a 5 hour round trip to Hopewell Junction, New York. We'd driven there to get a good price for the feline HCM clinic being held. If you can get your cat ultra sounded by a good board certified cardiologist for $100, you drive. We took two cats, Olivia and Boo; both have very healthy hearts. Jay enjoyed talking fly-fishing with Dr. Joel Edwards and I enjoyed talking cats with other cat people.

Even though I'd slept in the car, I couldn't shake the feeling of exhaustion and headed to bed early. Jay stayed up later to prepare for the class he starts today for the summer at UCONN Law School.

Around 1:30 AM, I woke up and realized Jay hadn't come to bed yet. Well, either he was still up studying (doubtful) or I'd had a bad snoring night, he'd had enough and decided to sleep on the couch. Let me emphasize here that 360 days out of the year, my snoring is not so bad to send Jay out of the room, especially if he gets to sleep first. I went back to sleep.

When I later dragged myself out of bed at 6:30, Jay was already getting out of the shower. As I schlepped into the bathroom to brush my teeth, I asked him what happened last night. He said my snoring was so bad, he tried to wake me up 4 times and finally gave up, going downstairs to sleep on the couch. Jay went on and on about how awful it was while I brushed. I abruptly spit out the toothpaste and looked at the tube of white stuff I'd just put on my toothbrush.

"Are you still mad at me?" I asked him.

"No, why?"

"Because I just brushed my teeth with the athlete's foot cream you left on the sink."

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon, it happened to me once as well. Not sure how I confused the big tube of toothpaste with the small tube of athlete's foot cream. It happens though.

    Do you get athlete's foot sometimes? Now with the warmer weather it's easier to get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This wasn't the usual small tube of stuff. We have a large tube of generic athlete's foot cream to keep around. It's the same size as a tube of toothpaste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a woman who can laugh at herself! I say this as I chuckle, thinking about your gaping maw snorously emitting loud sounds ... not very feminine, but egads, who looks for "feminine" in a friend? Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "athlete's foot cream"? Yuck. The next time Jay complains about your snoring, you should threaten to make him sleep in the same room as your brother. That will learn him about real snoring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least it was not shoe glue!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks as if I have finally figured out how to make a comment!

    ReplyDelete